 Trains / *2457 (-20)
  RE: Cramped city with a train and a monorail running through it soon. Need some help on how to do this.

(...) Hmmm, I remember a thread a while back (maybe even on RTL) that discussed putting the tracks on a ledge and only having big turnarounds at the ends. This way, you could let your railway go "under" the city and still have a cutaway view of the (...) (25 years ago, 19-Oct-99, to lugnet.town, lugnet.build, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Cramped city with a train and a monorail running through it soon. Need some help on how to do this.

(...) I also have a freight station(4555) so that might make it a little bit harder since I want the train to run thru there. Now, if only I had a picture to show you. Maybe if I can find a camera, scan it, email it to anybody who wants to see it. (...) (25 years ago, 19-Oct-99, to lugnet.town, lugnet.build, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Cramped city with a train and a monorail running through it soon. Need some help on how to do this.

(...) You might want to start with the track at a fixed hight (10-12 bricks high) above the streets, and running a loop. I have to say that the monorail is probably easier to do this with than the train...The train is a bit clunky to raise up high (...) (25 years ago, 19-Oct-99, to lugnet.town, lugnet.build, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Cramped city with a train and a monorail running through it soon. Need some help on how to do this.

(...) This was and is a problem in real cities. The solution is to either elavate the railway (or monorail) or go underground. Since I like to see my trains I would go with the elevated option. See  Matt's LEGO® Train Depot at (URL) for principles (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.town, lugnet.build, lugnet.trains)

  Re: "cat whisker" trip switch

(...) To follow up on my laser comment (above). Josh Yeager in post #7294 (Robotics) offers his own laser module for Mindstorms. He is asking $35. - Jim --- (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Cramped city with a train and a monorail running through it soon. Need some help on how to do this.

My city got smaller when I moved it up to the ledge and soon I'm going to have a train and a monorail running through it. My city is 40in X 190in. I would like to know how to get both of these running in such a cramped space. I don't have very many (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.town, lugnet.build, lugnet.trains)

  Re: "cat whisker" trip switch

(...) ower Steve, Steve, I poked around on the Web a little regarding model railroad sensors. Infrared sensors are generally placed between the rails facing up. They emit a constant infrared beam which is reflected back to the sensor when a train (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Busy-Bee has 6347 Monorail Accessory Track!

(...) me too. Paul Sinasohn, who also got other stuff (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Busy-Bee has 6347 Monorail Accessory Track!

(...) The motor would be sufficient to build small self propelled vehicles (if you mounted a battery box somewhere) but for regular monorails you also need the 4 wide platforms (with a bogie/truck at the far end) that attach to the motor. (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.trains)

  Re: "cat whisker" trip switch

Robin, Sounds very simular to how I riged it. I had to run the speed at "2" Since the trolley is very small and pulls nothing. In fact I can "wheelee" it pretty easy. How do you determine when to decrease the voltage, is it merely timed? Otherwise (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Busy-Bee has 6347 Monorail Accessory Track!

(...) One thing you could get, I don't know what else you might need, but Mario Ferrari posted me a list of old service packs available from LEGO in Italy. One of them is 5040 Monorail 9v Motor for Space Track. (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Busy-Bee has 6347 Monorail Accessory Track!

(...) However, given that I am not concerned about actually possessing one of the boxed sets, just want to build a monorail, could I use this accessory set to start building a monorail of my own invention? Say buy a couple of track sets, use a 9volt (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Busy-Bee has 6347 Monorail Accessory Track!

Check out the picture on Huw Millington's promotional site: (URL) up 1831, of course). The truck's a beauty, well worth buying. I got a copy from NZ so I probably won't order any from Busy Bee, but recommend it highly! Alan (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Busy-Bee has 6347 Monorail Accessory Track!

(...) What do these Maersk Trucks (1831) look like? I can't find a picture or reference to this item anywhere on the web? Warren (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Busy-Bee has 6347 Monorail Accessory Track!

Carbon 60 wrote in message ... (...) I hate to sound like a complete novice, but where is he getting these kind of numbers of sets? I can only assume that he has managed to get them directly from Lego? -Andy Lynch (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.trains)

  Re: "cat whisker" trip switch

Steve, I have also used Mindstorms to run a train, like this. But I used it in a railroad yard, not for a trolley. But it’s basically the same concept. I put the touch sensor at a 90 degree angel with the track and about one brick away from track at (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: NOVALTC meeting tonight

(...) ...The meeting went great, tho there were only three of us there! The meeting room is perfect. A huge floor to spread out on and a nice central location for anyone who works in or near DC! We laid out some track to match roughly our table (...) (25 years ago, 17-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.va)

  Re: "cat whisker" trip switch

(...) Before I add my 2 cents worth, I have zero experience with Mindstorms light sensors. That said, have you tried shading the sensor, especially from overhead light. Are Mindstorms light sensors similiar to those used in other forms of model (...) (25 years ago, 17-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Amtrak F 7 version 3

(...) Not at all boring, looks great! I especially like the grab bars and Amtrack stripe treatment. I am sure most of us wish we had more of anything Metroliner. - Jim --- (25 years ago, 17-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Amtrak F 7 version 3

(...) I use two individual light bulbs. The kind that come in the train light service pack with black "t-shaped" brick. These light bulb 1x2 bricks with the light bulb facing forward fit nicely into the side-hole of a technic beam. A 1x1x1 clear (...) (25 years ago, 17-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact