 Trains / 2383
Re: "cat whisker" trip switch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 22:53:31 GMT

Jim, Where are the shades placed? Is it a shroud?
ower
Steve,
Steve,

I poked around on the Web a little regarding model railroad sensors.  Infrared
sensors are generally placed between the rails facing up.  They emit a constant
infrared beam which is reflected back to the sensor when a train passes over
it.  From what I know of Mindstorms this can't be duplicated with a Lego only
setup.  However, back to the shroud idea.  What about a setup modeled after the
light beam burgaler alarm, which detects the absence of light.  Place the light
sensor across the track from a stardard 9v bulb.  Build a structure (white,
light reflective bricks) around the bulb (except for the side facing the track)
to hide it from view and around the sensor (black, light absorbing) to hide it
and to make sure that the majority of light it sees is from the bulb. ( I
believe I read on Lugnet this weekend about Lego offering a laser light emiter.
If true it would be far superior to the bulb.)  A train passing between the
bulb or emiter and light sensor would break the beam and trip the sensor.

Very interesting project.  Keep us updated on your design.

- Jim

---