 Trains / 2374
Re: "cat whisker" trip switch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 01:34:51 GMT

Steve,

I have also used Mindstorms to run a train, like this. But I used it in a
railroad yard, not for a trolley. But it’s basically the same concept. I put
the touch sensor at a 90 degree angel with the track and about one brick
away from track at both ends of the track. Then I built a bracket (use round
pieces) on the loco that line up with the sensor. When the train hits the
sensor it stops after about 30 sec. it goes the other way. Note set the power
level high in your program at the start and then slow it down after it get
rolling. If you don’t it will have about a 50% stall rate and don’t go to fast
or your train will pass the sensor. You might try putting a piece on the track
to stop the train from passing the sensor (the new super high slope bricks
work good, with the flat side facing the train).

Good luck man...
Robin W.

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile writes:
Hi All,
   I was playing around with Mindstorms tonight and was working on the
automated trolley line. I have been looking for alternatives to the light
sensors (the ambient light can kill ya). I was thinking about touch sensors
but just plopping a touch sensor at the end of the line is a real mess if
the train has any speed, either you knock the sensor right off the tracks or
the trolley looses it's front end! So I tried a "cat whisker". Basically it
have a "+" beam attached at a pivot point held loosely against a touch
sensor with a rubber band (LEGO brand of course). When the train comes by it
pushes the "+" beam out of the way of the trolley thus releasing the
sensor's switch.  The rest is a simple mater of programming.

SteveB