 Town / 8598
Re: Need building tips for a curch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:03:22 GMT

Hi Øyvind,

Hello people,

I'm not sure if this is the right group to ask for those questions, but I
try anyway :)

Seems a good group to me. Just to let you know, the English word is spelt
"church".

I have set my mind to make a model of a curch from my home-town.
How do you aproach such a task?

I don't build much town straight from photos but when I do I take the approach
of finding the features that I most want to concentrate on and working out a way
to get the general shape (when it is unusual).

Do you use only photos or do you use drawings from the curch?

I would use photos only  and maybe interior plans but that depends on how
accurate you want the model to be and personal preference. I find that by
working from photos I can concentrate on the important points and sacrifice on
others more easily than if I worked from a plan.

How to find the correct scale to build in?

There are a whole lot of answers to this, none of which are right and none of
which are wrong. My answer would be "the scale that lets you best model the
building whilst looking right next to a minifig" but other people will have
different answers.

Here is the first attempts :
The last pictures in the folder, names orginal_xxx is how the curch looks in
real life. It has a realy strange shape. It is supposed to look like slabs
of ice stacked together.

That is really impressive. You've captured the shape and style very well. I see
it is smaller than minifig scale. Did you base the scale around using the
windows for doors?

When I have been satisfied with this building (I am almost satisfied), I
have other strange buildings (buildings with special arcitecture) from my
hometown I want to try to build. I have already tried another bulding that
was housing a cinema before, it is now rebuilt and contains a library:

I think this model would benefit from some SNOT and half offset techniques to
better get that rounded shape. It would also look better if you use plates at
the top levels instead of bricks to get that thinner tapering effect.

Hope this is of help,

Tim