 Town / 8600
Re: Need building tips for a church
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:20:10 GMT

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> skrev i melding news:IrLpzz.208s@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.town, Øyvind Steinnes wrote:
I have set my mind to make a model of a curch from my home-town.
Wow, that is a beautiful {church} (note the spelling:-)
Ouups :)

Well, when I build from real life, I use {anything} and {everything} I can • to
help me recreate my subject more accurately-- photos, blueprints, • schematics,
even movies (my son and I had fun watching and rewatching a Harry Potter • film to
try and determine just how many coaches are in the Hogwarts Express:-)
Actually I built most of the church (finaly got the spelling correct?) just
from memory, and the pictures I found later and then corrected to mistakes,
the horns for the organ and the walls behind the altar. But the organ needs
more refining, and maybe the mosaic wall I will try to rebuild to look a BIT
mor like the orginal. Now its just a random mosaic.
The stair in the front of the church need some redesigning...

As far as scale goes, that's up to you.  I have determined for our club to • build
at a scale of 1:48 for "minifig scale".  But I've also found that how many
bricks I have available for a project and how much money I'm willing to • spend to
get the necessary bricks for the project is a chief determining factor as • well.
You can choose to selectively compress your subject, or
<http://www.amyhughes.org/lego/church/photosfirst.html not>:-)
It was actually that LEGO creation that started me in this project! And what
a nice church you have made.
But the scale I have selected was just from how many white 1x* bricks I have
:)
I only have a few 1x2 and 1x1 bricks left...

That looks terrific!  Looks like you already chose a microscale of some • sort,
like maybe HO ("Half O", which is 1:87) "O" Scale is 1:48.  Those are • model
railroad terms, HO and O, for those specific scales.
Actually it is many diffrent scales, the interior inside the church is not
in the same scale, that is why I ask here to find out how other people find
the correct scale to build an object.
The walls of the church is supposed to be taller and thinner and the church
should be longer. But I am restricted with the amount of bricks I have. But
I will try to get most features of the real church into my model (something
I think I already have managed to do) and the next step is to try to get all
objects in the same scale.

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=110382>
That is a fine work on a fine subject-- strange-shaped buildings are • always fun
to see modeled in LEGO, especially when we can see the original with which • to
compare it.  Thanks for sharing!

Thanks a lot for the constructive criticism.

Regards
Øyvind Steinnes
Norway

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix