 Town / 8599
Re: Need building tips for a church
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:31:11 GMT

In lugnet.town, Øyvind Steinnes wrote:
   Hello people,

I’m not sure if this is the right group to ask for those questions, but I try anyway :)

Yes, it is (crossposting to .building and .general would be appropriate as well)

   I have set my mind to make a model of a curch from my home-town.

Wow, that is a beautiful church (note the spelling:-)

   How do you aproach such a task? Do you use only photos or do you use drawings from the curch? How to find the correct scale to build in?

Well, when I build from real life, I use anything and everything I can to help me recreate my subject more accurately-- photos, blueprints, schematics, even movies (my son and I had fun watching and rewatching a Harry Potter film to try and determine just how many coaches are in the Hogwarts Express:-)

As far as scale goes, that’s up to you. I have determined for our club to build at a scale of 1:48 for “minifig scale”. But I’ve also found that how many bricks I have available for a project and how much money I’m willing to spend to get the necessary bricks for the project is a chief determining factor as well. You can choose to selectively compress your subject, or not:-)

   Here is the first attempts : http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=157089 The last pictures in the folder, names orginal_xxx is how the curch looks in real life. It has a realy strange shape. It is supposed to look like slabs of ice stacked together.

That looks terrific! Looks like you already chose a microscale of some sort, like maybe HO (“Half O”, which is 1:87) “O” Scale is 1:48. Those are model railroad terms, HO and O, for those specific scales.

   When I have been satisfied with this building (I am almost satisfied), I have other strange buildings (buildings with special arcitecture) from my hometown I want to try to build. I have already tried another bulding that was housing a cinema before, it is now rebuilt and contains a library: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=110382

That is a fine work on a fine subject-- strange-shaped buildings are always fun to see modeled in LEGO, especially when we can see the original with which to compare it. Thanks for sharing!

JOHN

Regards Øyvind Steinnes Norway

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix