 Town / 7603
Re: Street Lamp Ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 2004 00:47:48 GMT

In lugnet.town, Pierre Normandin wrote:

I took better pictures and built a few more, including the one from Deborah (with a little modification) all in white. :-)

While I don’t really have any LEGO info to add, I just wanted to say this image is remarkably similar to a real-life display near my childhood home in Silverlake - Adrian, are you familiar with this? It’s on Vermont and Santa Monica, I believe..

The Bureau of Street Lighting has its headquarters around there, and there’s a strip mall parking lot that has every street lamp/post combination in the city of Los Angeles, going back (I think) to the ‘20s. Kind of impressive - though I’m not sure how much the current population appreciates it..

For more info on the Bureau:

http://www.lacity.org/BSL/gallery/bslphoto.htm

Can’t seem to find a picture of the display there, though.

Los Angeles has some amazing concrete bridges with spectacular lighting - especially the ones crossing the LA River, and several more in Pasadena. They were really marvels of engineering for their time. Now with all the freeways they aren’t used as much. For example, the 134 freeway goes right past the Colorado Street bridge in Pasadena - that’s an amazing bridge.

They ARE often used in films - I just saw “Biker Boyz” on cable the other night, and they filmed a race sequence on the great 4th street bridge. Nice views of the city skyline from those LA river bridges too - at least when you can see it through the smog!

Anyway, probably more (or less) than you wanted to know.. If you’re in the area and haven’t seen these, we should hook up and go check them out. I love looking at them.

Darrell