 Town / 714
Re: Incredible Shrinking Disease
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 00:02:00 GMT

In lugnet.town, Brad Hamilton writes:
I suspect that town sets don't appeal to children as much as some of the
other "trendy" product lines like Star Wars.  Town is probably seen as
"booring."  Kids want what they see on TV.

There may be truth in that but it does not explain why kids immediatley start
building things they see in everyday life. It seems that someone, somewhere in
Lego has taken advice that only trendy product lines will sell.

Yes, kids (and the rest of the world) are changing but they still play
with "boring" balls, dolls, jig-saws, cars, trains, paints & coloured pens
(with which they draw pictures of boring everyday items like houses).

Just an observation from a bemused parent!

Jon

I remember the early 90's catalogs when they had tons of town stuff.

To make my towns, I've been surviving by buying freestyle sets (which still
have the old windows and doors), and a as many of the cycle center sets as I
can (this set is relatively cheap and has lots of generic "modern" doors and
windows).  The train station introduced last year includes an excellent
supply of town windows.

Sanjay D'Souza <sds87@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I finally got a copy of the 2000 LEGO Catalogue over the weekend, and in
need of a good laugh checked out the City Center (Town) section.   I don't
know if anyone else has mentioned this but is the range slowly but surely
decreasing?

I'd say there are probably only 12 sets at most in the City Center range • for
this year.   At it's height, Town once had about 40-45 sets in the range.

Train has suffered a similar fate here in NZ with only two sets appearing • in
that section.

From memory the City Center range comprises of

- Police
- Fire
- Construction
- Repair

and that's it.

The part that had me chuckling was the description that went with the set
#6600 (Bridge to no where) which from memory said

"The bridge allows you to build houses, other roads etc underneath".....

Yeah right.  There hasn't been a Town house since 1990 and doing a MOC • house
now is almost akin to walking on water with the range of pieces currently
available in the City Center range.

Another trend I've noticed is that the images appearing in the City Center
section are now larger, presumably because there aren't enough sets to • fill
the pages.