 Town / 5730
Re: Theater, Bookstore, and Park
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 19:45:43 GMT

In lugnet.town, Mitch Hiveley writes:
Great suggestion - that would certainly give the entire structure a much
more thoroughly art deco feel.  I didn't intentionally set out to create an
art deco building, but my stereotypes about theaters certainly include many
of those influences.

Your design realy struck me as very recognizable, for the more sober and
sometimes a bit gloomy ("Gotham City"-style) variant of Art Deco that
develloped in the nothern regions of Europe.

The sign itself is currently separate from the square building.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Calico/hiveleywood/crown/11.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Calico/hiveleywood/crown/12.jpg

Ah, these pictures from another viewpoint reveal a lot more of how the
facade was build and how the shape in 3D is. Lack of depth in the previous
images let me to believe that the black part of the sign stucture was more a
part of the frot facade of the building, and that only the narrow chome tile
laid band portuded.
Armed with this new understanding, I think it's still possible to work out
my backdrop tower suggestion, without need of changing the delicate sign
structure. It would be possible to build a kind of steeple stucture on top
of the roof, directly behind the top part of the sign.

This is modeled after some older building signage I walk by on my way to
work each day.  I originally made the mountings and braces more prominent in
the Crown model, but the result extended too far into the street for my >tastes.

I think you where right, on the picture showing the current version of the
sign from the side, to me everything seems to be good on scale and proportion.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.