 Town / 4740
Re: MOCs: 6-wide Fed Ex Van, 4-wide VW Beetles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 20:54:42 GMT

That's amazing.  The wheel attachment mechanism is quite
clever too, I don't believe I've ever seen that before.
I'll have to try that sometime.

Thanks...  The first time I thought of using these wheels backwards was last
year when I built a bus, but I wasn't sure of a great way to attach them. (I
just had them delicately balanced at the time.) :)

But to attach them for real, you can't use a technic peg because the studs
on the wheel get in the way.  I could have used a technic axel with a
stopper on the outside, but I liked the "clean" look of just-the-wheel, and
so I came up with this idea.  The only problem is that you have to choose
your 2x2 turntables carefully -- unless the turntable is *really* spinny,
the wheel will feel like it's sticking.  I guess by comparison, turntables
are typically less spinny than axels.  (Is there a real word for "that which
spins easier", other than "spinny"?)  :)  You also need to leave a good
amount of clearance underneath, since the square part of the turntable
rotates around.

All in all, though, I am happy with the wheel design.  I've already built a
New York City MTA bus using this new mechanism, and I'm happy with the
results (I'll post the pics tonight.)

Sean