 Town / 2352
Re: Six Entries for Town Contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 03:33:27 GMT

In lugnet.town, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Mark Chan writes:
My entries for Kevin Wilson's Town building contest.

Excellent models, Mark!

MLC Luxuria Classic Roadster - Mark Chan (Category: Small Vehicles)
The ultimate in comfort, elegance and power. A gleaming Arctic White hood
covers a massive V10 engine, while two spare wheels -with tire covers-
provide safety and style. Two suitcase trunk, suicide (reverse opening)
doors and Sterling Silver trim are standard. Carries two
side-by-side minifigs.

I especially like the Luxuria Roadster.  The amount of detail you've put in
such a small model boggles the mind :)  I'd love to see the details of your
4-5-6 wide transformations and SNOT techniques.  How robust is the model?
Can you drop it from a few inches without any parts coming off?
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu
http://home.cwru.edu/~bxl34/

Thanks for the kind comments!

As far as robustness and sturdiness - I just dropped it twice on it's tires
from 3 inches to a hard glass table without even a wobble to any parts. It
is as sturdy as any other Lego company town vehicle set...except for those 8
piece Town Jr. sets, or those new Racers, of course.

Let's see, SNOT (ruffling through Shiri Dori's acronym list). Ah, Studs Not
On Top. The only SNOT pieces are the front grille (two 2x2 white plates with
two 1x2 silver grilles on top) and the 2x2 medium slope that traverses the
area between the spare tire and door (held in place on each side by a 1x2
technic beam with the grey 1/2 axle.)

The front grille is not held in place with a 1x1 technic beam, since that
would make it wobble. Instead, I used the 1x1 brick with the side stud,
offset forward a half stud. With the 1/2 stud protrusion, the side stud on
the 1x1 fits very snugly into the back of the 2x2 plate, and I used a lot of
small plates and tiles behind the scenes to make the top of the hood fit
while retaining structural stength.

The front half of the car (from the windshield forward) used at least 75
elements before I lost count, and I estimate 130+ elements overall - not
counting minifigs.

The technic beams have "hollow" studs on top, so the 3-4 transformation on
the windshield snaps on using bottom studs attached to hollow top technic studs.

A 3-5 transformation is under the front part of the cockpit using a bunch of
the 1x2 tiles with the 1/2 offset stud. A 4x6 plate bolts on to the 1/2
offset studs on the front 3 rows, while the back 1/4 of the 4x6 plate
remains "normal". (You can see this on the "left" view).

Again, thanks for the comments, Bram! Inspired by your other models, I'm
considering an attempt at a 6 wide modern red sports car that holds two
minifigs side by side. (I keep staring at your Viper, and thinking, hmmmmmm.
Nothing has come to mind yet, but maybe someone on Lugnet will figure one out.)

Mark Chan