 Technic / Bionicle / 2181
Re: MetalAndMagic (was: BioniWars: Jango Fetoa, Intergalactic Bricky Hunter)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 16:14:24 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Paul Coombs writes:
I have a digital video camera that takes stills, but not very good ones.
The best pictures on there are ones that I took with a 35mm and scanned in.
I don't have access to that camera anymore, though.

     Geez, I could never survive on a film camera.  I think I've taken over
3500 shots on my digital camera by now, and a lot of those were discarded in
favor of better shots.  I even got a press kit at work, got my boss to let
me take a 2 hour lunch break, went home, photographed the Nuhvok set and
posted all the pics before going back to work.  There's no way I could have
pulled that off with a film camera.  Heck, it took me about 500 shots just
to figure out all of the correct settings and that I needed desperately to
get a tripod and use directional lighting instead of the flash.

The Gremlins are basically Bohroks made to fit a minifig.

     Yeah, but it's just the idea of modifying something that's officially
Bionicle to make it work in a completely non-Bionicle world...  It's a very
creative and unique modification, and that's coming from the guy who went
through the entire Masterbuilder set and "fixed" everything (including
something like 15 unique Ussal crabs).

The basic inspiration for those ships you mentioned (except for the red one) >were the Kilrathi ships from Wing Commander.

     Hah!  I was pretty close.  I thought they reminded me of something from
WC, but it's been quite a while since I played WCII (never played any of the
others) and I've been repressing my memories from watching the movie (aside
from seeing the SW:TPM trailer).  I was trying to match the look to one of
the human ships, but I really can't remember much of what they look like either.

As for the cockpit on the red one, I wasn't really a big fan of that one >either, but I figured if it worked on a TIE fighter, why not?

     I don't have my TIE Fighter here at work to check, but I think the
pilot was a few studs closer to the viewport, that the interior was a bit
wider near the viewport, and that it doesn't have panels that swing in and
further constrict the viewable area.  The TIE Fighter cockpit viewport gives
unbelievably great visibility if the pilot is mounted Starfury-style, but if
you try to mount it vertically on a cockpit where the pilot lays down on his
back, he won't be able to see much of anything.