 Technic / Bionicle / 2180
Re: MetalAndMagic (was: BioniWars: Jango Fetoa, Intergalactic Bricky Hunter)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 14:58:29 GMT

Thanks for checking them out, Dave.

I have a digital video camera that takes stills, but not very good ones.
The best pictures on there are ones that I took with a 35mm and scanned in.
I don't have access to that camera anymore, though.

The Gremlins are basically Bohroks made to fit a minifig.  The basic
inspiration for those ships you mentioned (except for the red one) were the
Kilrathi ships from Wing Commander.  I've always liked the style of several
of the ships in that game.  As for the cockpit on the red one, I wasn't
really a big fan of that one either, but I figured if it worked on a TIE
fighter, why not?

Paul

"Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Paul Coombs writes:
By the way, (shameless plug coming up) have you seen my creations on
Brickshelf?  I announced them a good while ago.  They aren't really
Bionicles but the guys over at Mecha really didn't think much of them
either.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MetalandMagic

     Okay, I've had a chance to check them over now, and they do seem to • be
largely mecha-oriented.  My guess is the reason they didn't go over too • well
is that they're mostly built using standard Bionicle/Throwbot frame • styles.
I've bumped into some people who think that if it's not big enough to bang
your knee on, it's not worth looking at.  I've also seen a few instances • of
people building micro-mecha that were pretty popular, but if it's about • the
size of a standard Toa it doesn't seem to enjoy as much popularity. • Another
thing I've noticed is that image quality makes a big difference in what
people will think about the subject matter.  If the images are tiny and
grainy, most people don't feel it's worth taking the time to look at them,
and transfer that feeling to the worthiness of the MOC in question.  Most • of
your images seem to be a little on the small side and a little fuzzy, and
improving either of those qualities would go a long way towards getting • more
attention.  From the way some of the images look, I'm guessing you did get • a
better camera at some point, but you probably didn't reshoot any of the
previous photo groups (or maybe the previous MOCs are no longer intact to
reshoot?).

  I've never really been a big fan of mecha myself (personal tastes), so • I'm
not the best person to ask about them, but I was highly amused by the
Gremlin series (I think I saw them somewhere else before though).  The • stuff
I liked the most were the blue/black and blue/grey ships in the SpaceCraft
folder.  I'm not sure what it is, but they remind me of something I saw
quite a while ago.  It had similar wings that jutted forward, sloped down • to
the sides, and had an inward sweeping hooked shape to them.  Whatever it
was, I thought it was cool.  I'm not as fond of the red one though.  The
cockpit seems too deep and enclosed for the pilot to have any decent idea • of
what's going on anywhere that's not directly in front of him.