 Technic / 8866
Re: 8431 Sold Out -- "DISCONTINUED", backorders in USA!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 21:16:21 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Paul S. D'Urbano writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, John Herre writes:
8464, the re-release of 8459 Pneumatic Front-End Loader, started shipping
September 2001, and was sold out in the US before the end of November 2001.

7152, a re-release of Star Wars set 7150 TIE Fighter and Y-Wing, started
shipping late September 2002, and sold out last month.

I thought one of the differences between the classics re-releases and legends
re-releases is that the classics will only be available for short time.
Brad Justus wrote, in http://news.lugnet.com/lego/announce/?n=38
  "To answer in advance a couple of questions which I suspect may arise: LEGO
  Legends are different from the "classic" reissues which were announced a
  couple of weeks ago. Those classics are not intended to be a long-running
  series, whereas LEGO Legends is."

Thanks John.  Now I feel dumb.  I should have paid closer attention to Brad
Justus' post which I know I read way back when.  I guess this is why I was
the only one surprised by this.  My mistake.  Next time I'll know better and
order a classic I want as soon as it comes out.

-Paul

PS: To LEGO Direct, despite my obvious disappointment about missing this
one, I'm very happy that you have done these classics re-releases even if
they're just available for a short time. Thanks and I hope you keep doing >them!

Hi All,

If you look on SAH, 8431 now says "Backorders Accepted, will ship by 21 Feb
2003" for USA.  Another AFOL alerted me about the 8431 backorder and said
that he already ordered it and it shipped the next day!  To be honest, I
hesitated in posting this because I wasn't sure about the amount of stock
SAH-USA really had and was afraid if I broadcasted this info here some
greedy person might quickly buy them all up just so they could auction/sell
them after it sells out for double the SAH price.  If you look at the prices
on ebay and bricklink for a *new* 8460 you'll see what I mean.  I suspect an
8431 will eventually pull the same prices (it's already a bit high on
bricklink despite 8431 being still available from SAH in most of the world).
I'm curious to see what other folks think about this.  Was I too paranoid?
The AFOL who contacted me convinced me that posting this was the right
choice, so that others like us don't miss out.  Hopefully some other US
folks who felt as disappointed as I did will jump online after reading this
and order one before they wind up sold out again.

Incidently, before they became re-available from SAH I had already accepted
a friendly offer from a fellow LUGNET'er for a MISB 8431 at the SAH price
(he had gotten it overseas on discount so he made a few bucks for his
trouble, too).  I of course couldn't pass that up so it turns out I didn't
need to order one of these back-ordered ones from SAH.  Although I spent a
few bucks more on shipping, I have no regrets.  My 8431 arrived today, is in
great condition, and the experience gave me a warm fuzzy feeling for the
friendliness and fairness of our LUGNET community (considering he could have
jacked up the price $20 or $30 more and it still would have beaten the best
offer on bricklink).

Once again, thanks to LEGO Direct for issuing these classics and for finding
a way to sell a few more of these sets in the US.

Regards,
Paul