 Technic / 8675
Re: R: How to make a differential when you've got no one?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 21:07:06 GMT

"Luis Hernández" <lmhariano@latinmail.com> wrote in message
Well... I checked Mike Fusion's thin differential (
http://odin.prohosting.com/mrplanet/thindiff/thindiff.htm ). It works
fine... but it's simply too big!!!! So I had to think about a smaller diff
that would work the same way... and that's what I got... using pulleys
instead of  40-tooth gears and only 8 tooth gears.

You'll see there's not crown gear to drive the differential,but you can • use
rubberbands or make a wheel rub against the diff (see below, with a
monospace font)

  AA    AA
============
DDDDDD  AA
DDDDDD  AA
DDDDDDWWWWWW
DDDDDDWWWWWW
============
  AA    AA

DDDDDD is the diff, AA is axle and WWWWWW is the wheel&tire from 8232, • 8222,
8205, etc and === are beams, liftarms, or whatever you want to use for
holding the diff and wheel. Make sure the wheel makes contact with the
pulley so they'll turn in opposite directions

Thanks a lot

Luis

I was working on using the pulleys and even have done one with the 24T gear
but i was staying with the direct non-slip drive, and the 24T one has the
axel off-center.  but i did find out that following the same instructions
you can use the new double bevelgears ( iforget the tooth count) but they
did come with the Spybotics set gigamesh
http://shop.lego.com/xt_Imagepopup.asp?Theme=&XMLPath=2057&iFile=/shop/Produ
cts/TYPE10
you can see the gears driving the "tri-star wheels" it does make the diff
smaller in diameter.
sorry i couldn't find a peeron ref.

m.