 Technic / 8664
Re: How to make a differential when you've got no one?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 07:12:23 GMT

hi!
1. differencial gear is needed to give an ability to rotate right and left
wheel independantly
when car's moving ahead there is no difference in speed of rotation left and
right wheel
but whe car's running on a curve every wheel is going to run different way
because radius of a circle
(which draws ie on snow or sand) is different
2. is explained in post by SteP

regards
pixel

"Luis Hernández" <lmhariano@latinmail.com> wrote in message
I'm still working in the sports car (which I think will be about 8-10 • studs
longer and 4 wider than 8408... using the same wheels). The frame is • almost
ready, and it will include 2-speed gearbox (if I can, I'll build a 3-speed
one and pop-up headlights) front independent suspension and maybe rear • live
axle.....

Maybe because I have seen many lego suspension systems (from official sets
and MOCs)(and no-suspensions also)... and almost all of them have a
differential gear... almost because the 8840 doesn't have it... it only • has
1-wheel-drive!!!!
(don't you believe me? check here:
http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8840/ )

So I've got some questions:
1) Are differentials so important when builiding cars? What would happen • if
I don't use one?
2)I don't have any differential gear (If you want to know what do I have,
are these sets: 2854, 8207, 8216, 8226, 8232, 8236 and 8422; one each one)
Is it possible to build a working differential? and how without having to
make a 1wd car?

Thanks a lot

Luis