 Technic / 8408
Re: Beef about LEGO motors (rant)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 04:06:01 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Tarrabain writes:
Actually the biggest
problem I have with using axle joiners on the motor's axle is that it
seems like 9 times out of ten the place along the axle where I would
have wanted to place some sort of gear mechanism is along the place
_where_ the axle joiner happens to cover -- so I have to rethink my
design, usually resulting in a model that is probably not as compact.

You know, I found myself having *exactly* the same problem a month ago when
I was trying to decide where to put the motors in a custom model. There were
some very good spots where the motors would have fit in quite snugly but the
geartrain was just one axle length away from the tiny axle protruding out of
the motor and the axle joiner was both brushing against and blocking access
to a nearby gear. It would indeed be a very good idea to put in an axle hole
there instead, but I suspect the only reason they did not do that was the
space limitations, as the larger micro scout has exactly the kind of axle
hole we want. Still, I wouldn't mind having the length of the motor
increased by a stud length if it allowed the placement of such a hole.

One more thing I would like to see with the new gear motor in particular is
that slightly rounded part at the bottom removed and replaced with a flat
surface, or even better, a standard stud enclave. This was probably done as
a last resort, as it seems that the motor magnets are right at the edge
there, but the problem with this is that not only does it prevent a stud
connection there but it also prevents axles from crossing immediately under
the motor, which can be really annoying in tight situations. The small
notches on the sides are very handy, though.

-Gaurav