 Technic / 8407
Re: Beef about LEGO motors (rant)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 00:18:45 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Tarrabain writes:
I've often wondered why it was that LEGO decided, when making their
technic motors, to have them with such a ridiculously short axle that
you almost ALWAYS will need to use an axle joiner to extend it.  What
would have made more sense (at least to me) is to not have an axle in
them at all... instead, have something a lot like an axle bushing in
them that you can plug in whatever axle length happens to best suit your
design.  If a short one will work, then you plunk in a short one, if you
need a long one, then you use a longer one.   Actually the biggest
problem I have with using axle joiners on the motor's axle is that it
seems like 9 times out of ten the place along the axle where I would
have wanted to place some sort of gear mechanism is along the place
_where_ the axle joiner happens to cover -- so I have to rethink my
design, usually resulting in a model that is probably not as compact.

Okay... I realize that this topic may be a bit pedantic, but I'm just
wondering... is it just me?  Or does this annoy other people as well?

You could always search for a few of these http://guide.lugnet.com/set/845

ROSCO