 Technic / 8171
Re: Making 7u axles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 01:39:01 GMT

For some reasons, I never have enough 5u axles, so maybe a 12u axle are
best,
the newer type, and a sharp scalpell, cut the axle all the way round, and
just snap it off.
The ends will be flatt, so the axles are perfect.
No sanding reqiured since there are no nothing to sand.
Also the axles will be 'true' 5+7u, since you dont miss anything like you do
when you use a dremel, since it will deform and
melt some of it away, and the cutting device will also take away something,
so the leftover will not be a 'true' 1u or 3 or 5u axle...
This is just my thoughts.

regards
jan-tore

http://www.legotrucks.com

"Øyvind Steinnes" <senniets@online.no> wrote in message

"William Howard" <william@howard-family.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in message
Well, I'm finally going to bite the bullet and [dons flame proof suit] • *cut*
some of my axles to make 7u lengths.

Has anybody who's actually done this before got any tips?
What kind of cutting tool?  Craft knife? Stanley knife? Xato razor saw?
What to use to polish the ends?  Nail file?  Fine grade emery paper?
What to start from? 8u and ditch the waste? 10u (or 12u) and aim for 7u • +
3u(5u) lengths?

Any tips gratefully received

thanks

William

As many other said here, use the axel length you have the most of.
And another thing, I never ditch the ~1U axel, or ~3U orwhaterver leftover
there is of the axel. I dont remember now, but some time ago I needed a 1U
axel and had to make 2 of them. So now I have many pieces of 7U and some
pieces of ~1U. Maybe I need a 9U axel sometime?

The Dremel is my number one choice when modifying bricks. There is
everything on it; saw, drill, polishing, sanding and so on...

There is only ONE axel I'm just waiting Lego to make, that is an hollow • axel
like the axel in a clock. And there should be an connection between the • end
part.
I've made such an axel for myself by using one pieces of 4U axel and two • 2U
axels. Using a small drill (Dremel) I made the 4U axel hollow all the way
through and the other two just a bit in one end. Then I glued a metal • string
into one of the 2U axels end. After the glue had fasten I put the 4U axel
onto the string without glue and at last fastened the last 2U axel to the
other end of that string.
Now I got an axel like this : 2U-4U-2U, where the two 2U pieces is • connected
two each other but the 4U axel is running free in the middel of them.

The hard part is to find the right glue that will hold metal onto the
plastic.

Lek Vel
Øyvind Steinnes
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix