 Technic / 8105
Re: Steering Instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 20:19:37 GMT

The 8466 also does this.  Actually, the 8466 does pretty much everything the
8880 does except four wheel steering, and that's easily solved. (just extend
the steering gear to the backwheels and mount the rack in front of the rear
wheels, assuming the rack is behind the front wheels).

Both the 8880 and the 8466 use specialized parts, Lego CV Joints, to achieve
4WD.  The 8880 uses a groove ball and a hub while the 8466 uses what I can
only describe as a bushing modified so that accepts an axle and has a
tapered other end with little knubs on the sides.  These knubs drive hub,
which in turn can be connected to the wheels.

I know people have also made 4WD solutions without using the specialized
parts.  I forgot where/who but there are pictures on brickshelf.  Depending
on the size of the vehicle you're trying to build though, those solutions
might be too big.  Also, 4WD by itself isn't too bad.  4x4x4 (4WD and
steering) is a bit harder but I think doable.  It's when you add in the
suspension that it gets annoying.  Without suspension setups, you could
probably fake a CV joint with some universal joints and well-chosen points
of rotation.

Luke