 Technic / 8095
Re: 8461 arrived today!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 15:20:48 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Huw Millington writes:

"travis" <phree@attbi.com> wrote in message news:H1zLz4.592@lugnet.com...
this is only like the sweetest lego chassis ever built...

Chassis-wise it is identical to the Silver Champion. Only the bodywork has
been revised, and then only slightly.

Thanks for the info and photos Huw!  Eventhough I have the Silver
Champion...cough... McLaren, I will definetly get the Williams too!

I was wondering about the front suspension:
The 8458 used black 3-long friction pins in a few of the joints,
which resulted in a large amount of friction in the movement.
In fact, if you pressed the suspension down and released it, it
would not return to its original height.  I solved this by
adding a few 4-long axles (with 1/2 bushings) in place of the pins,
and the problem was solved.

Does the Williams use the new 3-long gray frictionless pins,
or still the black friction pins?  I thought this was a major
(and easily solved) design oversight on LEGO's part.
Also, have you been able to figure out why the part count is 1483,
as opposed to 1413 for the 8458?  I don't mean count every piece,
but does anything stand out?

build well

John