 Technic / 8020
Re: A better device for tank treads than the adder / subtractor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 17:28:51 GMT

Dean, the clutch idea works perfectly!  I make a simple drive base like the
one in your post using the clutch gear, added a couple of motors, tested it
using a couple of dual-switch battery boxes, then tested it with an RCX and
a remote.  It drives almost perfectly straight using both motors for forward
drive and still allows for both types of steering.  The best parts about it
is that it is very simple, takes up almost no room, and uses very few
pieces, especially gears.  Better yet the treads can be driven from the
linkage which means the motors are closer to the center of the base for
better weight distribution.  I'll be adding it to my larger tank base soon.

Thanks for your help,
Simplicity is the sign of true genius,
Roy

In lugnet.technic, Roy Nelson writes:
Thanks Dean for the great ideas and for posting links.  Sounds like I should
buy the Ferrari brothers book.  I'll try the clutch idea first, it seems to
be the solution I'm looking for and it is relatively simple, I do have a
couple clutch gears but I really like the idea of using the ribbed hose.  I
used to think ribbed hose was useless until I discovered it makes great
track for rolling marbles.  Unfortunately I'm in a softball tournament this
weekend so I won't be able to do it right away.  I'll let you know how it
turns out.  Hopefully I'll be able to borrow a digital camera so I'll be
able to post a few pictures.

I think most of your problems would be solved by installing a clutch that
links the left and right drive axles.  It would be somewhat like the limited
slip differential in the Ferrari brothers book.  I perfer using the clutch
gear instead of pulleys like they use; the pulleys introduce a lot of drag.

The clutch consists of an axle, a 24t gear and a 24t clutch gear.  The 24t
gear engages the drive gear for the left track and the clutch gear engages
the drive gear for the right track.  The two gears are tied together by the
axle.  When one track starts to turn faster than the other the clutch steals
some torque from the faster track and suplies it to the slower.  It's not
perfect, but it works pretty well and is easy to implement.