 Technic / 8005
Re: A better device for tank treads than the adder / subtractor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 04:24:39 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Roy Nelson writes:
I have a challange for those realy good at using differentials and gears:

The adder / subtractor device is not the ideal device for use in tank
treads.  An ideal device would drive straight forward and back with both
motors running.

Well, an adder/subtractor (a/s) *does* turn both treads evenly, but only
with one motor driving.

It would also be able to turn in place with some
combination of motors running, (maybe one motor or both motors turning in
opposite directions).

An a/s does this when the drive motor is stopped and *the other* motor turns.

It would be good if it allowed partial skid steering,
(both treads turning buy one turning faster than the other).

Controlled by the speed / direction of "turning" motor.

The above condition may be accomplished by motors directly driving the
treads but with a mechical link to ensure equal turing when both motors are
powered.  The mechanical link would be broken if only one motor were
powered, or if the motors where powered to drive the treads in opposite
dirrections.

This seems much more work than a standard a/s. Check out the a/s section on
this page http://www.lugnet.com/technic/gears for more ideas (under
"Transmissions").

ROSCO