 Technic / 8014
Re: A better device for tank treads than the adder / subtractor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 22:35:32 GMT

Hello Fredrik,

Do you want both motors to contribute to the power when driving
straight?  I.e., is your worry that one motor is idle, and hence does
not contribute to the motion?  Is that why you want a different
arrangement?

I was going to use two mechanically-linked motors for the forward/back
motion and a third motor for the turning motion in combonation with the
adder subtractor.  Fitting the second forward / reverse motor in was going
to be a problem until I realized I had this other motor (turning motor) was
doing nothing and may be able to be used for more power.

The purpose of using a second drive motor is to give the tank base a bit
more power.

By the way, I have made a vehicle which can be steered around using
only _one_ motor.  Running the motor in one direction causes the
vehicle to drive ahead, while reversing the motor causes the vehicle
to turn on the spot:

What a neat little device (directional unifier), I'll have to find time to
play with it.

   http://folk.uio.no/fredrigl/technic/direction-unifier/

(Click on the second application on the page.)

Fredrik