 Technic / 8007
Re: A better device for tank treads than the adder / subtractor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:31:12 GMT

"Roy Nelson" <rtnelson@telusplanet.net> writes:

I have a challange for those realy good at using differentials and
gears:

The adder / subtractor device is not the ideal device for use in
tank treads.  An ideal device would drive straight forward and back
with both motors running.

Do you want both motors to contribute to the power when driving
straight?  I.e., is your worry that one motor is idle, and hence does
not contribute to the motion?  Is that why you want a different
arrangement?

As I see it, the main advantage with the a/s is that you are always
guaranteed to drive straight with one motor running, and you can
control all of the motion with two motors, exclusively.  I'm at loss
regarding how to compile somthing like what you're discussing, without
a _third_ motor to control some kind of locking mechanism.

By the way, I have made a vehicle which can be steered around using
only _one_ motor.  Running the motor in one direction causes the
vehicle to drive ahead, while reversing the motor causes the vehicle
to turn on the spot:

    http://folk.uio.no/fredrigl/technic/direction-unifier/

(Click on the second application on the page.)

Fredrik