 Technic / 7750
Re: Prototype Pneumtic Excavator Controls
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 00:56:57 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane writes:
I've come up with a prototype design for a for a pair of control levers that
can operate the 4 major digging functions of a Hydraulic excavator without
the operator having to take their hands off them to reach another control.

The idea was to design a system that replicates much more closely the
controls used in the real world. By using two axis controls you can operate
all functions simultaneously if needed. The fist switch has two pnuematic
function's, so that could be set to control the two arm function's, the
other has one valve and one electric switch, so that could be used for
bucket control and slewing the body of the digger.

That's an excellent idea, Steve.

The system would be ideal for models like those of T.J and Jennifer who both
have pneumatic excavators, although the extra performance might be wasted on
T.J's machine as he's admitted it's a little slow.

Jennifer and I got together at the 'fest and improved the performance of the
R996 greatly. She hooked up one of her compressors to my excavator and it
worked great. That tells me that my first serious modification should be to
add another compressor, or two, or three. Or just go all-out and add
something like Doug Carlson's octopump (which I saw at the 'fest- it's awesome).
http://www.visi.com/~dc/comp/index.htm

Why do you have so many valve's on your controller T.J?

Because I have 14 cylinders :-)

Really, I don't know how real excavators are controlled. The digging arm on
the R996 model is articulated in 3 parts, and the shovel clam is hinged as
well. That's why there are 4 valves. The 5th valve is a release to discharge
the system.

However, your controller shows me one needed modification: lengthening of my
valve handles. When operating it, I find it difficult to slowly and
carefully operate the valves with such short handles. If you let the
cylinders go too quickly, the digging arm will smack down on the table![1]

TJ

[1] Which is an excellent move when your opponent[2] is smaller and is under
you.

[2] Jennifer's skid-steered loader (Bobcat). BTW, she won. She did the most
damage and actually pushed my R996 around the table!

All it needs now is a pair of foot pedals for controlling the tracks and an
excavator to connect it to, but that'll take a bit more time :-).

Steve