 Technic / 7151
Re: More new parts ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:28:39 GMT

In lugnet.technic, John Barnes writes:

Which of course brings me to the real question - "What is Technic?".

I had always assumed there was this great divide between model construction
parts, which can be used to make "models of" anything from houses to trucks.

and Technic which catered to building working examples of things without
necessarily making something that was intended to be a replica in miniature.

I understand that these tend toward the extreme ends of the spectrum and
that there always has been somewhat of a gray area in between.

I never considered a divide existed between the two catagories, The two
types System and Technic always worked so perfectly together. I've aways
used lots of plates, a rarer technic component, in my models and I went
mainly overto Technic from a very early age. :-)

But these days, I am wondering if - as noted by the lack of the Technic word
on the packaging - whether TLC has decided to merge everything into one
large grouping of "Lego parts".

So perhaps what we're seeing is the start of that evolution ...

Thoughts?

I think what's really happening is that Tehnic has evolved into Mindstorms.
This fulfills lego's ideal's as it enables them to charge so much more
without it costing much more to produce the sets. It's not so much a merging
more a neglect of the technic ideal. Which is to reproduce working
mechanisms that can be seen in the outside world (normally on vehicles).

Steve