 Technic / 7166
Re: More new parts ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:30:12 GMT

In lugnet.technic, John Barnes writes:
I have recently purchased 4793 - Ogel Shark Sub.

In looking through the parts (I didn't buy it to build) I notice a few
useful looking new ones - some intriguing cross axle couplers and dayglo
orange "wheels". The wheels look ideally suited to be used as part of a pawl
and rachet mechanism to me.

I hope TJ intends on putting some of these "non-Technic" parts on his
brickshelf "Useful looking Technic parts" pictures page.

Perhaps. We'll see ;-)

<snip>
But these days, I am wondering if - as noted by the lack of the Technic word
on the packaging - whether TLC has decided to merge everything into one
large grouping of "Lego parts".

So perhaps what we're seeing is the start of that evolution ...

Thoughts?

I'm very curious to know what they're up to. I was disappointed to see the
word "Technic" missing from the new Star Wars 8000's sets.

I'm all for using Technic parts in other themes. It allows for new building
techniques and more interesting (and advanced) construction. I think it
leads to better modelling and better looking creations. Look at it this way,
if people won't buy "Technic" sets, then Lego will sneak in the parts
elsewhere :-)

My personal feeling is that the Technic theme will just wither away, but not
the parts. I think it's not making Lego enough money (compared to other
themes: SW, HP, etc.) and it's time to do away with it, or "evolve" (as you
said) it into something else.

Perhaps having the word Technic on the box scares people away. I have met
many people in the past year or so that have astounded me by telling me that
they're just not interested in Technic because it's too difficult.

I've heard stuff like, "it's too complicated", and my favorite, "you need a
PhD to build it". I get the feeling that they've really never tried to build
any Technic set, or they just don't have the patience to go through a larger
instruction manual.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the next year, or two, pans out
for Technic.

TJ