 Technic / 7148
7147  |  7149
Subject:
More new parts ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:05:50 GMT

I have recently purchased 4793 - Ogel Shark Sub.

In looking through the parts (I didn't buy it to build) I notice a few
useful looking new ones - some intriguing cross axle couplers and dayglo
orange "wheels". The wheels look ideally suited to be used as part of a pawl
and rachet mechanism to me.

I hope TJ intends on putting some of these "non-Technic" parts on his
brickshelf "Useful looking Technic parts" pictures page.

Which of course brings me to the real question - "What is Technic?".

I had always assumed there was this great divide between model construction
parts, which can be used to make "models of" anything from houses to trucks.

and Technic which catered to building working examples of things without
necessarily making something that was intended to be a replica in miniature.

I understand that these tend toward the extreme ends of the spectrum and
that there always has been somewhat of a gray area in between.

But these days, I am wondering if - as noted by the lack of the Technic word
on the packaging - whether TLC has decided to merge everything into one
large grouping of "Lego parts".

So perhaps what we're seeing is the start of that evolution ...

Thoughts?

JB