 Technic / 6997
Re: killing off technic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:58:58 GMT

This is a quote from an article in Business 2.0 [October 2001]:

http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,16981|2,00.html

"As a private firm, Lego doesn't have to explain itself to anyone in the
outside world, but in March the company issued a press release announcing
that it had had a lousy year in 2000, losing roughly $130 million. It
admitted that it had "lost focus" because of side businesses like its
Legoland theme parks. Now, company executives say, Lego is getting back to
its core business of making toys."

Most of the rest of the article focuses on Mindstorms and hackers et al, but
it is both depressing and encouraging to see that the company seems to
understand that its core mission has been diluted - and therefore is hurting
the bottom line.  Let us hope that 'getting back to the core business of
making toys' means that they don't underestimate the intelligence and
imagination of kids young and old.

Please, no more super extreme cyber turbo slammer machines...

-rob

In lugnet.technic, William Howard writes:
particularly with the anticipation of looking at the latest
catalogues to see what lies in store, only to be unimpressed.

Cars, cars, cars, cars, cars, bionicle (great parts, lousy idea), cars,
starwars (hated it the first time round when I was 14, and its not getting
any better, just better hyped IMHO - he said donning flame-proof clothing)
and more cars - oh I forgot a motorbike!

Whatever happened to diggers, trucks, planes, helicopters, boats,
hovercraft, robots, et al?  Compare the 1995 technic flyer with the new lego
catalog and Technic has gone downhill faster than Eddie the Eagle (Britains
hopes for ski-jumping success for those of you not of this isle!)

Bear in mind that I still think pieces like #2825 are "kind of new". (!)
Wow!  That's going back.  I draw my "kinda new" line at the change from
non-notched to notched 2U axles!

William