 Technic / 6315
Re: Advice needed: ask Santa for 8466 or not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 01:54:39 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
Assuming my loving partner would buy me a big set of Lego (Silver Champ last
x-mas, 8448 birthday) there's really only one big set at the moment, and
that's 8466, the off-roader.
Now if I tell a bit about my thoughts about the previous two big cars, I
hope I can get some advice on whether or not to ask Santa for this one.....

[snip]

Any help/tips appreciated.

Well, you're right, there's heaps of "play" in the steering, however I believe
this could be reduced with a different arrangement. And the mechanical features
are a bit of a yawn.

As for parts, it has new yellow shocks, which seem to be more heavy duty, and
the new CV joints, which get around the problem of those big monsters in the
8880. It also has 4 of the big wheels, which is nice. It also has a couple of
the damped shocks.

It has some of the new, thinner, panels in yet another colour, which I could
live without, but it does have a new (AFAIK) L-part, which Chris Fenter
describes here http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=6284.

So all up I'd say thumbs up for parts selection, jury still out on the main
model.

ROSCO (who wanted to make it right-hand drive, but soon realised that meant
reversing the gearbox also 8?/ I did it anyway 8?P )