 Technic / 5323
Re: Anyone else UNIMPRESSED with the new tech sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 03:40:41 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
First of all they're cars: by now the most boring kind of set as everything's
been done over and over again.

Yeah, I guess they should just stop making Technic sets altogether since
there's nothing left to do that would be new.  Okay, sorry for the sarcasm.
How about this?  The recent string of cars are cooler looking than the old
cars.  Oh wait, you're probably one of those people who want every piece
besides the wheels and gears to be beams.  Never mind then.
Actually it's a valid point, I'd cheer along with you for a Technic set that
was unique or something that hasn't been done in a while.  But hey, everybody
loves cars, right?  From a marketing perspective it's a pretty safe bet.  And
make no mistake, the marketing people have much in the final say about what
products will be made.

They -or at least the big one- will be 4x4: 4 wheel drive and suspension,
and steering on 2 wheels. Oh, and it'll have a gearbox. Anything we haven't
seen on 8880?

As you said, they're cars and have been done before.  The cosmetic changes are
the only thing they can do to make it a different set.  Maybe Lego's just
thinking of the people who don't own an 8880 and don't want to pay an arm and a
leg to get one.  The alternative would be to never make new sets and just keep
the same ones on store shelves year after year.

As for the rest of the set: big wheels. So? V8 engine. Again? The chassis
looks like a bunch of regular beams (at least that's a relief) but the rest
is all panels and tubes.

The SUV equivalent to 8448.  Cool.  I mean, half of what the 8448 has going for
it are its looks anyway since its functionality had also been done previously.
Oh wait, I forgot, sets that look good are bad.  Boxes on wheels are
preferred.  Sorry for the sarcasm again.  What would you prefer instead of the
V8?  Since all technic engines are just the same piston pieces stacked in two
rows, I don't see how it even makes a difference what size it is.

All in all not a very inspiring effort by TLG.

Well no, it's not, but I'm sure they're doing the best they can.  And not every
Lego buyer is an AFOL who nitpicks each set compared with the sets that have
gone before.