 Technic / 5100
Re: M1A1 Abrams
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 21:41:56 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steven Combs writes:

I've just uploaded the third and final (for now) video.

Alright...Alright...now that I have seen it in action, I have to have one.
How much!!!!

A lot!!

It's not for sale, but I'm not going to dismantle it either, it's not even
finished, I upgraded the suspension just today.

If you aren't going to sell that one, do you plan to create a
.dat file with a parts list so we can all build one?

I hadn't planned to, but I'm slightly tempted now :-). My policy was going
to be not to divulge my designs in order to let people build their own and
gain experience and the satisfaction from doing so.

Also, if you can get that gun deflecting and firing, I think the Army might
want to buy these from you.  Very Very Very impressive.

If by deflecting you mean raising and lowering it already does that. All the
motors are in the hull, so you can revolve the turret infinately without
tangling a cable. I didn't show the barrel working in the video because the
mechanism is tempremental and jammed on the day of filming.

You can buy r/c models of the Abrams, you can also buy models that fire or
recoil. Lego can't fire as they don't make a hollow barrel. I've thought
about a recoil mechanism but you'd have to literally fire the barrel inwards
and then use a spring to imeadiately return it to it's original positon. Not
imposible but a challenge certainly.

Steve