 Technic / 3927
Re: Power Puller
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 02:12:12 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Rob Bryson writes:
I just got the Power Puller yesterday and I have to say that it is a really
good set with a good price/piece ratio.  With close to 1,000 parts and a
motor, this set should be going for ~$130, IMHO.

Yeah, the price seems to be attractive considering the piece count. My
latest S@H catalog shows it priced at $99. I could really use the motor and
the technic figure and the large tires and 20 engine parts looks nice as well...

One of the things I liked
about it was the ingenious system it uses to pull the load forward, with the
increasing force needed as the load got closer to the front.  I built it in
the 5x V4 configuration.  The chains do not fit very snugly around the 16T
gears like in other sets, namely the 8880.

Actually I've noticed that 8880 seems to be the only set where the chain has
a very tight fit around the gears that it runs around. For example, all of
the various motorcycles (8838, 8422, 8417) seem to have a rather loose fit
over the gears. I'm not sure about the others though...

The rear wheels are huge!  I'm
not sure about their exact diameter and depth, but I imagine that they are
close, or even greater than 100mm in diameter.

Wow...that's about as big as the Silver Champion wheels, if not larger.

When you open the box,
(which has no open-up flap on the top) everything looks as though it was
just thrown in there, with the tires, the motor, the hubs, and alot of the
bigger pieces just loose in the box.  However, it is separated in bags that
are very similar to the 8002 Destroyer Droid.

That is interesting; my 8458 pieces also came in a disarrayed manner like
this. Although my box was sort of smashed up due to mishandling by the UPS
people, so that probably caused it in my case...

The steering is horrible, and
when you let it go on the tile, it always veers to one direction because the
steering always slips.

That's somewhat strange; it seems to use a flex-cable based steering system,
which worked very well on the 8440 and 8445 models. Although the steering
linkages do seem to be somewhat bent on this set, which could cause the
problem you described...

  I ordered it off the S&H US web site.  This set also
comes with a video.  The video has absolutely no dialogue in it, and was
pretty corney when it showed the kids doing just about anything.  The video
was even low enough to put in advertisments at the end for similar products
like the 8458!

Hehe...so what is on this video? Does it basically contain a bunch of
real-life tractor pullers running around?

  These were just puctures with music in the background
though.  Overall I recommend this set.  And if anyone is wondering where
that small sticker in the corner goes, it goes on the figure's back.

Rob Bryson

Rating - 9.5/10

I guess I should go for this one sometime...

-Gaurav Thakur