 Technic / 3933
Re: Power Puller
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:32:52 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Rob Bryson writes:
I just got the Power Puller yesterday and I have to say that it is a really
good set with a good price/piece ratio.  With close to 1,000 parts and a
motor, this set should be going for ~$130, IMHO.

I recently got this set as well and liked it fairly well as well.  I'm not
sure I'd pay $130 dollars though.  $99 was a steep enough price point.  Lets
face it, with these large Technic sets the majority of pieces are friction
pegs, not the more specialized ones.

One of the things I liked
about it was the ingenious system it uses to pull the load forward, with the
increasing force needed as the load got closer to the front.  I built it in
the 5x V4 configuration.  The chains do not fit very snugly around the 16T
gears like in other sets, namely the 8880.  The rear wheels are huge!  I'm
not sure about their exact diameter and depth, but I imagine that they are
close, or even greater than 100mm in diameter.

The rear wheels were 2 and 3/4 inches in diameter I think.  I wish I had 2
more.  They'd be great for a monster truck model!!
I also liked how the instructions show you how to add an extra motor for
more power.

The steering is horrible, and
when you let it go on the tile, it always veers to one direction because the
steering always slips.

This was a big drawback for this set and one of the worst design flaws I've
seen in any Lego Technic set.  The steering just doesn't work at all.  The
linkage is bent too much down by the front wheels.  There's got to be a
better solution.  I'll have to experiment.

I ordered it off the S&H US web site.  This set also
comes with a video.  The video has absolutely no dialogue in it, and was
pretty corney when it showed the kids doing just about anything.  The video
was even low enough to put in advertisments at the end for similar products
like the 8458!  These were just puctures with music in the background
though.

You are right, the video sorely needed dialogue and was a waste without it.
It's basically a video showing what Team Larsen goes through before, during
and after a tractor pull race (which it won).  Hello Lego?  Give us some
info on this Team Larsen for pete's sake!  There is some cool footage in the
video and it would have been halfway interesting with some dialogue.

Overall I recommend this set.  And if anyone is wondering where
that small sticker in the corner goes, it goes on the figure's back.

Rob Bryson

Rating - 9.5/10

I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.  1 point deduction for the video and 1.5 points
for the steering.

Keith Blumenthal