 Technic / 3787
Re: Any Ideas= 8448 and 4 wheel steering?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:51:38 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jeffrey Driscoll writes:
Similar to what I'm building now I think. I'm using 2 u-joints with
'parallelogram' suspension, and it works ok as long as you make sure that
the pivot points for the hub and suspension are vertically aligned witht he
u-joint pivot points. That way, distance does not increase or decrease
(altho it does a wee bit i think due to simple tolerances in LEGO) and
allows all points to remain equi-distant relative to each other in 3
dmensions.

You also have to make sure the two u-joints are connected with the "slits"
matching, not 90 degrees apart, or you'll get the sinusoidal variation Jason
mentions here: http://news.lugnet.com/loc/au/?n=4154.

If you don't understand my description (you wouldn't be the first!) check out
the instructions for the 8448, steps 5 & 6 on the page dealing with the diff /
u-joints (pg 32 in my instructions). You can see that the slit on each u-joint
lines up with the adjacent one. This is not just for good looks!!

Regards,

ROSCO