 Technic / 3600
Re: Revamped webpages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 14:30:39 GMT

Ross, John:

I've tinkered about with loads of variations on the compressor design, but my
measurements are pretty subjective, certainly compared with the tests done by
CSSoh on his pneumatic page. The first compressor I built was a modification
from Michael Powell's mini compressor, which used a 40 tooth gear to gear down
the old 9V motor by 1/5. Apparently this gives around 600 rpm, and when used
with 1 pump gives the results seen on the videos on my skid steer loader page.
Adding a second pump at 180 degrees out of phase with the first just slowed down
the motor, without much apparent benefit in terms of air flow.

The next one, used on my excavator, used a further modification of the above;
two pumps at 180 degrees, but with two old 9V motors to keep the speed up. This
worked very well indeed, producing very high pressure with a high flow rate, and
was the best compressor I've made to date.

Since I only have 3 old 9V motors, I tried to make a compressor from a new type
9V motor for the skid steer loader. One pump straight on the motor was pretty
pathetic in terms of air flow, although it was fairly strong; gearing it up from
3/2 just seemed to slow the motor down, with no benefit. Apparently these motors
run at 300rpm, so the rationale behind gearing it up was to bring it closer to
the 600 rpm device above. With two pumps on the motor,  (like Ralph Hempel's
design) things were adequate, but still not as good as one pump with the old 9V
motor geared down to 600 rpm.

All of the above compressors used the full stroke of the pump(s).

Jennifer Clark