 Technic / 3208
    3 Section Telescopic Crane Boom —Jennifer Clark
   There has been a lot of talk about crane type mechanisms recently, so to add to the pot, here is a mechanism to achieve the subject of this post. (URL) Clark (24 years ago, 3-Dec-00, to lugnet.technic) !!

        Re: 3 Section Telescopic Crane Boom —Holger Matthes
     Hi Jennifer, (...) 3-sectioned crane! I also thought how THIS might work in real an came up with that kind of cable-mechanism you used! But I never was able to fit it into a technic construction ;-(( But how does a real multi sectioned boom work? (...) (24 years ago, 3-Dec-00, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: 3 Section Telescopic Crane Boom —Jennifer Clark
     (...) What you are thinking of is generally referred to as a "multi stage hydraulic ram", but as far as I can ascertain, that is not how real multi sectioned booms with more than 3 sections work. An engineer friend of mine suggested that using this (...) (24 years ago, 3-Dec-00, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: 3 Section Telescopic Crane Boom —Ross Crawford
     Neat! I'd often thought about trying something like this! When I was a kid, (pre-technic!!) I built a gantry crane that used a complex series of cables (string) and pulleys. I only had 1 (4.5V) motor at the time, so all movement had to be controlled (...) (24 years ago, 3-Dec-00, to lugnet.technic)

        (canceled) —Fredrik Glöckner

        Re: 3 Section Telescopic Crane Boom —Fredrik Glöckner
     How interesting! I've always wondered how the telescoping booms function. I originally thought the individual boom elements could be extended individually, but it appears that one of the elements control the other(s), as you've shown us. It looks (...) (24 years ago, 4-Dec-00, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: 3 Section Telescopic Crane Boom —Jennifer Clark
     (...) It would appear that there are some very large mobile cranes which can have independent control of each section, but it is still done with a single hydraulic ram and appears to done under computer control. I think the operator inputs the (...) (24 years ago, 4-Dec-00, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: 3 Section Telescopic Crane Boom —Ronald Vallenduuk
   I had another mechanism in mind. I'll see if I get a chance one of these days to make a prototype.... Duq "Jennifer Clark" <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote in message news:G503FM.4tz@lugnet.com... (...) add (...) (24 years ago, 4-Dec-00, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: 3 Section Telescopic Crane Boom —Jennifer Clark
   (...) Excellent stuff - I was hoping you had something different in mind :-) Jennifer Clark (24 years ago, 5-Dec-00, to lugnet.technic)