 Technic / 3211
Re: 3 Section Telescopic Crane Boom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 22:50:01 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Holger Matthes writes:

But how does a real multi sectioned boom work? Probably by a multi sectioned
huge hydraulic "thing" (how is it called??) I will search at Liebherr.com
later...

What you are thinking of is generally referred to as a "multi stage
hydraulic ram", but as far as I can ascertain, that is not how real multi
sectioned booms with more than 3 sections work. An engineer friend of mine
suggested that using this method would be "impractical" - think of the
amount of hydraulic fluid you would need for a start!

If you download the document I mention on the web page, there is a diagram
showing that it is done by adding extra pulleys. The more boom sections
there are, the more complex it gets. Some large cranes have an additional
hydraulic ram for the third boom, but I've yet to see an example with more.

But this point will
remain the most difficult step in case of designing a "good looking" mulit
sectioned boom!

I don't think it will be that bad actually - by using a method similar to
the latest Technic crane, an ovoid boom cross section can be achieved in the
first and second sections, which is pretty realistic. On a fairly large
crane model I think it will actually look quite good :-)

Jennifer Clark