 Technic / 3098
Re: Technic Pendulum Clock progress
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 17:56:20 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Amnon Silverstein writes:
I've been trying to make a practical Technic pendulum clock. I want it to
run for 24 hours/winding, and to keep time to within 10 min/ day. So far,
with 5 lbs of lead X 2 feet of drop, it runs for about 4 hours, so I have a
ways to go. If there are any other clock builders who read this, I'd like to
know other people's clock efficiency in hrs / (ft lbs). Mine has an
efficiency of .4 hr/ftlb
Here is a picture of what I have so far. It doesn't have any hands yet, but
it has a winder that lets it be rewound while it is running.
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/clock1.jpg

Hi Amnon,
I know there are some clock design pictures here in LUGNET® somewhere.you might
try searching for "clock".
two things that might increase your time is a little more weight on the
pendulum and removing the pully on the lead weight. If I recall my pulley
physics correctly, by having that pulley there you are reducing the weight
transmitted to your clock motor by half. Ie, the weight is distributed by the
anchor on one side and the cable winding mech on the other.

http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/Lego/escapement.jpg

I found this link (provided by Chris Magno) to a picture that shows this setup.

http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=114

Chris's original post

hers one from Zef Damen

http://news.lugnet.com/build/?n=4533

and Eric Harshbarger's very nice grandfather clock : )

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=13919

I hope this helps  : )

John