 Technic / 2824
Re: Steering and driving.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 14:18:55 GMT

tnt@arnesson.nu (Tobbe Arnesson) writes:

Hm, I miss my dictionary... Let's see... Nah, I can't picture what
you mean, sorry :)

I wasn't too clear myself, so no worries.  Take a normal LEGO steering
setup, e.g. like on 8660.  When turning the steering wheels, they turn
around the pivot point, that is the centre of the pin which connects
into the end holes of the 1x8 technic plates.  The shorter the
distance between the pivot points and the actual wheels, the
healthier.

Now say you connect the wheel to the same kind of steering gear as in
8660, but by a long axle rather than a pin.  This will make the
disance between the wheels and the steering gear longer, and hence the
distance between the pivot point and the wheel will be longer.
Imagine that you operate the steering.  You'll notice that the wheels
need a larger space to do a full turn.  You'll also need more power to
actually turn the wheels.

This was the effect I tried to warn you about.  If you incorporate
front wheel drive, you'll probably need to increase the distance
between the pivot point and the wheel.

The 8880 solves this by the use of specialized ball joint gears that
integrate into the wheel assemblies.  This minimizes the said
distance, just as in a real front wheel drive car.

Fredrik