 Technic / 2819
  Re: Steering and driving.

(...) I never tried it out so I can't tell about the friction. (...) Perhaps that's an option. Don't think the bulkyness matters. (...) Nah, it ain't to ridgid, hence the other version above. But it's made out of mostly basic Technic parts, or could (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering and driving.

(...) I took a look at 8660 right now, and I'm sure you want to use the same principle, but not the same size, right? You'll probably want to use Supercar size wheels? I'll agree with you that you'll need to power more than one axle to get it going. (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering and driving.

(...) Oh, yes. Sorry I should have meantioned that. More like the wheels from the Tow Truck or the BarCode truck since I don't have six supercar wheels, hey I do have to eat :) This is the chassis that made me realize that I needed steering _and_ (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering and driving.

(...) I wasn't too clear myself, so no worries. Take a normal LEGO steering setup, e.g. like on 8660. When turning the steering wheels, they turn around the pivot point, that is the centre of the pin which connects into the end holes of the 1x8 (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering and driving.

This thread encouraged me to have another play at making a compact steer & drive setup, something which I have tried many times over the years. However, I had not had another attempt since taking on a load of 'modern era' lego in the last year! I (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering and driving.

Here is the link to a photo (decided this was easier than a rendering!) of a fairly compact solution. (URL) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering and driving.

(...) Okay, got it. So if I can place the wheel in a "fork" with powering to the wheel by gears and then make the "fork" turnable, like when spinning spaghetti on an ordinary fork, the pivot point will be centered in the middle of the wheel. Could (...) (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering and driving.

(...) take some work to get the power down there from the chassis or have this figured out to? Thanks! /Tobbe (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering and driving.

Tobbe, I've gone a few stages further with my design, you may be interested. I've managed to get some suspension in there too! I've made it a permanent part of the website. Click on 'prototypes' on the main menu. (URL) (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering and driving.

(...) Thanx! /T (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)