 Technic / 2398
Re: My Lego planetary gear
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 07:12:14 GMT

That alternative implementation gives me an idea.  What about putting gear
wheels around on arms sticking out at various angles and held together by
structural Technic parts, and having various combinations meshing with each
other?

The only problem is that it might be a bit bulky in places.  Fortunately,
there are plate height and brick height beams available and they look like
becoming available in more and more sizes too.

The sun/planet concept is fairly simple, I believe early automatic motorcar
transmissions used them.  The more recent ones use a variant similar to the
hydro-electric power plant.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

Amnon Silverstein <amnon@best.com> wrote in message
Ah. Hm, I wonder if it could be used for a lego transmission. I cleaned up • my
first planetary gear, and I came up with a second implementation. It is
bigger, and it is not obviously a planetary system, but I think it is
topologically equivalent. It has easy access to the three rotating • components.
Here is my old design cleaned up:
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/Planet1.jpg
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/Planet1Parts.jpg

And here is my alternative implementation:
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/Planet2.jpg
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/Planet2Flat.jpg

-Amnon

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford writes:
You can actually get very similar behaviour using a standard • differential.
If you hold one "output" shaft, and turn the other, the crown wheel turns • at
half the input speed. The advantage of planetary gears is the output • shaft
is in line with the input shaft, making it easier to chain them together. • A
lot of old cars used this technique - the output of the first was • connected
to the outer ring of the second, and so on. Locking the last one in the
chain gives you low gear, locking the next gives you a higher gear (by
"reducing the reduction") and so on. Big advantage of this technique is
there's no real need for a clutch.

Regards,

ROSCO

Amnon Silverstein <amnon@best.com> wrote in message
By locking the outer ring, in acts as a 2:1 or 1:2 gear (depending on • which
shaft you use as input and which as output. If you lock the planets, it • turns
into a 1:1. If you let everything loose, it is a neutral gear. If you • lock
the
output shaftand tap off of the ring somehow, it could act as a reverse, • but in
practice this has a few problems. The planets and the sun gear tend to • jam
and
the gear drag is pretty bad.
Yeah, if Lego made some real parts for this, it would be much easier to • rig up
a multi-speed transmission with reverse.
This works well enough to demonstrate the principles of a planitary • gear
system, at least.

In lugnet.technic, Geoffrey Hyde writes:
That is certainly compact.  Do you have any ideas how it might be used • in
an
actual model?  I suppose locking either the top half or the bottom • half,
or
both, would change the way the output shaft differs from the input • shaft?

Although what I would really like to see is an inner gear ring which • is a
lot larger than the current gears are.  I'm not sure if it's • technically
feasible to make, though!

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

Amnon Silverstein <amnon@best.com> wrote in message
I was working on transmission ideas, and I came up with a cute • planetary.
It
can produce several different types of output, and it is typically • used
in
transmissions. My implementation is compact, and doesn't use too • many
parts.
I'm not sure that it is useful for anything, but it might be cool in • a
gearhead-nerd way.

http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/PlanetMiddle.jpg
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/PlanetTop.jpg
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/PlanetBottom.jpg