 Technic / 2393
Re: My Lego planetary gear
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 23:46:42 GMT

By locking the outer ring, in acts as a 2:1 or 1:2 gear (depending on which
shaft you use as input and which as output. If you lock the planets, it turns
into a 1:1. If you let everything loose, it is a neutral gear. If you lock the
output shaftand tap off of the ring somehow, it could act as a reverse, but in
practice this has a few problems. The planets and the sun gear tend to jam and
the gear drag is pretty bad.
Yeah, if Lego made some real parts for this, it would be much easier to rig up
a multi-speed transmission with reverse.
This works well enough to demonstrate the principles of a planitary gear
system, at least.

In lugnet.technic, Geoffrey Hyde writes:
That is certainly compact.  Do you have any ideas how it might be used in an
actual model?  I suppose locking either the top half or the bottom half, or
both, would change the way the output shaft differs from the input shaft?

Although what I would really like to see is an inner gear ring which is a
lot larger than the current gears are.  I'm not sure if it's technically
feasible to make, though!

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

Amnon Silverstein <amnon@best.com> wrote in message
I was working on transmission ideas, and I came up with a cute planetary. • It
can produce several different types of output, and it is typically used in
transmissions. My implementation is compact, and doesn't use too many • parts.
I'm not sure that it is useful for anything, but it might be cool in a
gearhead-nerd way.

http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/PlanetMiddle.jpg
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/PlanetTop.jpg
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/PlanetBottom.jpg