 Technic / 2095
  Re: Mini-review: 8457 Power Puller

(...) Some of them do. It's a real challenge keeping the front wheels on the ground at all with many of them, and therefore they are somewhat influenced by the differential to give one wheel or the other a bit more power (depending on engine or (...) (24 years ago, 27-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Mini-review: 8457 Power Puller

If I remember correctly, while pulling, they can be steered by applying the brakes individually to the left or right rear wheel. (...) (24 years ago, 27-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Mini-review: 8457 Power Puller

(...) Of course, it's full throttle and keep your foot close to the left and right brakes... but don't dare stop a wheel completely or your sunk... momentum is the tractor puller's friend, gravity his worst enemy... :) Dave (24 years ago, 27-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Mini-review: 8457 Power Puller

(...) Is there a rules requirement for rear wheel drive? This seems like a natural for FWD, with any of the minimal steering required done by the rear wheels. Any benefits to RWD I can think of (like, say, using the load to increase traction) seem (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Mini-review: 8457 Power Puller

(...) There are 4x4 truck and 4x4 stock tractor classes when the farmers bring out their stock tractors... I don't think there is any rule against FWD. but I would think that the load shift up the transfer sled would pick the front tires off the (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Mini-review: 8457 Power Puller

I missed the original post, but FWD pullers wouldn't work well. There's several things that are better about RWD for this type of competition. Natural torque caused by the drive wheels causes them to want to lift the front end, lessening their (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Mini-review: 8457 Power Puller

My cousin and I built several pulling vehicles out of LEGO last winter and had several competitions with a complete set of rules. We even built the sled completely out of LEGO but used pennies for weight. We had 3 half pound classes: 2 Wheel Drive, (...) (24 years ago, 29-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Mini-review: 8457 Power Puller

(...) I've exploded the 8 teeth gears before now...never had any problem with the bigger ones, but the 8 teeth gears would occasionally just sever in 2 pieces, and everything would grind to a stop...it'd be a major bummer, because it was always one (...) (24 years ago, 29-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic)