 Technic / 1894
Re: Hidden Technic Kits for 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 13:06:31 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Sean Harrington writes:
Does anyone have any of the non-retail Technic kits for 2000?

Are any of them even available yet?

but I can't tell if it's any superior to just a regular Plano
storage box from Target. Anyone?

Plusses:

  1. Looks kinda cool (but not "way cool",  by any stretch).
  2. Has a molded-in ruler calibrated in studs.
  3. Partitions are slightly more configurable than a Plano box. Specifically,
     you can make bigger compartments.
  4. Has a handle for easier carrying.

Negatives:

  1. "Living" (which should really be called "dying") hinges (the Plano boxes
     have real two-part hinges that pivot).
  2. Can't make really small compartments to separate things like pins.
  3. Expensive.

I do use mine for storing some larger parts like the "motorcycle" wheels that
came with the Mindstorms set.  But,  if it hadn't come as part of an 8062,  I
wouldn't buy one.

Depending on discounts,  you can get 4 or 5 Plano boxes for the price.  Unless
you *really* need that handle,  you're better off buying Plano,  and cutting
out a partition or two in one of them.

Ran