 Technic / 16704
Re: 8263 Snow Groomer Review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 2009 10:22:31 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Leigh Holcombe wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Jetro de Chateau wrote:
The excuse about the environment is not a very solid one. Maybe LEGO uses less
paper and ink, but many people still like to have a physical copy of the
document and printing a single set on an inkjet printer is more environmentally
unfriendly that LEGO providing 10.

Hears the thing. We cut down trees to make paper. Before that might have been a
bad thing. BUT things are much more regulated now. Trees are now grown in
treefarms specifically to be cut down. I'm sure I read or heard somewhere (you
might want to check this for yourself) that because of this there are now more
trees on this planet than there would have been if we didn't cut them down to
make paper.

And before anyone mensions yellow recycled paper, it actually takes more eneygy,
pollution and chemicals to recycle it than it does to start from scratch.

The cost factor is of course a much more important aspect, but personally I
prefer paying that little bit extra and having my instruction booklet than
having to use the computer which makes for a lot less comfortable building.

Jetro

I must admit that is very uncomfortable (especially where my computer is!)

The environment argument gets even thinner when you consider the fact that set
8259 (Mini Bulldozer) has 3 instruction booklets - 2 for the main model, and one
for the alternate model.  Considering that this is only about 65 pages worth of
instructions, 3 separate books seems a bit ridiculous.  The fact that it's a $10
set in the US further complicates matters.

What makes it worse is that many steps only have 1 part which is a little
tedious. The 8858 test car only had 24 steps.