 Technic / 16657
Re: A couple of gear questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:24:18 GMT

"Tim (Smith)" <tsmith7057@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:KI7yAw.23B@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.technic, Allan Porter wrote:

Personally the only problem I have with it is that the clutch slips way
too
easily for my liking.

That's not a bug- it's a feature.

The point is to protect the motor from damage. That said, I bet if you
used two
clutch gears you'll get twice the allowable torque. I don't recommend it-
but
you could try it and see what you think.

You won't get twice the allowable torque.  What you'll get is a
proportionate increase in torque as the load on the output from the clutch
gears approaches the maximum load limit of the clutch gears.  It's basic
physics.

Two clutch gears in series would only mean that there are twice as many
points where the gears could slip.  If you used two clutch gears in parallel
on the motor this would effectively mean you're dividing the same driving
force between both of those gears.  If you mesh multiple motors together
with clutch gears, you get a complicated relative velocity equation to solve
and may need a differential gear setup to allow for the difference in
driving speed, even with closely matched motor pairs.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde