 Technic / 16623
Re: A couple of gear questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 20:41:35 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:
The same reason. The part is effectively a torque limiter - it even has the
nominal torque limit printed on it (2.5-5.0 Ncm) - where it is placed in the
gear chain simply decides how much maximum torque is available at the output.

Lowering the gear ratio after the limiter increases the output torque available,
raing the ratio decreases the torque limit. So putting it before a 1:24 gear
reduction increases the torque available by about 24x.

Hope this helps.

ROSCO

Ah, right, so it is for that... I really have to find out how to measure torque.
I, though, can't see the "2.5-5.0 Ncm" print on the part but I'll take your word
for it.

In lugnet.technic, Timothy P. Smith wrote:
Add a light sensor, it can be used as a rotation counter.

I see... well I don't have any light sensors, so I can't use that. Maybe it
could do as interface to functions.

Though, if the timing wheel isn't really a gear, why is its name "Technic Gear 8
Tooth Timing Wheel"? Simply "Technic Timing Wheel" would do it IMO.