 Technic / 16240
Re: Phoenix
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:42:06 GMT

In lugnet.town, Magnus Lauglo wrote:
   Wow,

Truly amazing! I’m always thrilled to see minifig scale MOCs that incorporate Technic elements and yours is quite possible the most impressive I’ve ever seen!

Thank you so much! Since I love both ‘regular’ bricks and technic I try my best to combine the two, and this was a very satisfying attempt. The normal bricks only go one stud deep (at some places less), what’s inside is basically a pure technic creation.

   The Phoenix on the side is truly inspiring! How long did it take to build this?

The mosaic took less than two days. One evening to plan it out, and the other to collect the parts and build the two sides. The total time spent on it would propably be 12 evenings, spread over 4 weeks or so.

   Quick question, what piece(s) do you use in these pics:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mahjqa/Phoenix/More/phoenix93.jpg

to raise and lower the swinging arm (right where the black attaches to thered elements)?

Two of these: (image is a link)

Connected with good ol’ Flex cable in the middle. And yes, figuring out this setup was the most challenging part of this project to me :)

I should also mention that this project was a contribution to Lowlug’s 5-year anniversary contest. (Scroll down for links to the three categories). The main restriction was that the build should be able to fit on a standard 48*48 baseplate. In the end of the Youtube video you can see that it fits exactly. (well, if you don’t extend the arm too much.. :)